Home Forums Ask Sean Stock to Zero?

If you'd like advice from Sean or other seasoned investors, Just post your question here.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Participant

If , for example, a stock in my portfolio goes all the way to zero, since I still own the stock, can it rebound and turn around and have value again or what happens to it?

Sean Hyman

No. Shareholders would be wiped out. The company would go bankrupt. It could get a new symbol on the “pink sheets” and still exist/run. But your shares would be done, at that point.

In a bankruptcy, bondholders get paid first (if there’s anything left for them to get) and then preferred stock holders and then common-share stockholders. The latter is what most everyone owns.

Bekka
    Participant

DO is at 1.70. So you are saying that if tomorrow it goes to zero, that it’s done and everybody loses their money?

Sean Hyman

Yep. It’s not likely to go to zero tomorrow, but yes. Just because a stock price goes low doesn’t mean its going under. CIG went to 82 cents per share and then proceeded to rally back over $4, etc. And is still in business today.

But I don’t expect any oil stock to go up until oil itself goes up.

Bekka
    Participant

Thanks for making that clear.

Sean Hyman

You’re welcome.

Eddie Kerby
    Participant

Yep, that happened to me with Peabody. It went to zero and I lost all of the investment and they are still in business. That is why you don’t want to be overweight in any 1 stock.

Sean Hyman

Correct. It’s why when their fundamentals turned, I didn’t suggest investing additional capital into it. Agreed.

Christopher Walsh
    Participant

Same with OVV, dropped amazing amount. I have had ECA for 4 years and turned into OVV..Hoping they stay alive

Sean Hyman

Yeah, there’s absolutely no reason for any oil stock to turn up until oil itself actually does. That could take a bit with Saudi Arabia/Russia just beginning an oil war. Saudi doesn’t even start upping its production by 2 million more barrels per day until April 1st. Of course, upon the news of it…the market has already discounted part of that, by the recent downward move in oil.

Christopher Walsh
    Participant

Makes it very attractive ..as I have cash for averaging down…and metals going up, and SPXS doing well…I just will follow your rules and try not to put too much in one basket..but tempting! Its here, potentially, what you have been preaching for the past couple years.. I’m ready!!

Sean Hyman

Just don’t average down on the weaker companies…only the stronger companies, fundamentally.

Awesome! As SPXS gets far away from its moving averages, you should consider exiting or at least significantly lightening up your position so that the recoils don’t eat you up.

hved
    Participant

I am assuming that we should be averaging down on all your current picks?

Sean Hyman

Correct. Averaging down levels don’t change, no matter what the market does. In fact, because I’ve been anticipating this…it’s why I have such wide/low averagings on some picks. Its how a downtrend becomes our friend.

hved
    Participant

Thanks Sean….I’ve been averaging down after at least a 15% drop. Which on some of our stocks have been almost every other day for the last week or so.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.