Home Forums Ask Sean MarketWatch: Stocks headed for a 67% downturn?

If you'd like advice from Sean or other seasoned investors, Just post your question here.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Inactive

MarketWatch: Stocks headed for a 67% downturn? Seems ‘preposterous’ now, but it did in 2000 and 2007, too, says fund manager.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/sp-500-headed-for-a-67-downturn-seems-preposterous-now-but-so-did-similar-pullbacks-begun-in-2000-and-2007-says-fund-manager-2020-02-04

Sean Hyman

Headlines like that are stupid because no one knows that it’s going to be that exact percentage of a sell-off. So 67% is just dumb for them to say.

NOW, with that said…one previous market crash was around 40% and another was around 60%. So is that possible? Absolutely. And yes, when markets have soared like they have…hardly anyone thinks sell-offs are possible. But how they think and feel about it has absolutely no bearing on what’s possible and very likely.

FusionDude
    Participant

82% of all statistics are made up.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hey Sean, sorry for posting stupid news articles. I just thought it was mighty bearish and suitable for our forum. I will cease and desist! Thank you.

JimA
    Participant

What was said in the headline might be stupid, but I don’t think your post is Scott.
    The more information I am exposed to the more I learn from what is subsequently discussed.
    and sometimes I need to see/read the same things to keep me grounded in the LI process.
    Like this one, once again it is reiterated for me not to invest in any funds that follow the market or “popular” stocks, while some people I know personally keep throwing money at them.
    and FusionDude, as a wise man once told me – “figures don’t lie but liars figure” 🙂

Sean Hyman

Scott, no need to apologize. I think the content was great. I was criticizing the odd/exact numbers that are just ploys for eyeballs from marketers. You did nothing wrong. Thanks for sharing the info.

Sean Hyman

Yes, I totally agree with Jim. Scott was just fine in posting that.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I understand. Thanks for your kind replies, Jim and Sean. Really enjoying the forum and will continue to participate.

Sean Hyman

Yeah, you did just fine. You did nothing wrong. The dumb part was the headline that they chose to write. It’s a marketing/copywriting technique to grab extra eyeballs.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.