Home Forums Ask Sean Which S&P 500 ETF do you recommend?

If you'd like advice from Sean or other seasoned investors, Just post your question here.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Inactive

Have not held one. Which works best for entering the general market? https://www.investopedia.com/investing/top-sp-500-etfs/

Sean Hyman
    Keymaster

I don’t recommend any of them at the moment because the market has only worked off a portion of its overvaluation. BUT, one day, when it’s time….SPY is a good choice. Huge, liquid, low cost, etc.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I printed out the paragraph in your newsletter that has the S&P 500 levels you are suggesting. I keep the note hanging in my office! Those that are not subscribed…this wisdom alone is worth signing up today!

Sean Hyman
    Keymaster

Thanks, Scott. It’s definitely a more strategic way to re-enter the overall market over time than what most people will do. Yes, that recommendation alone could save people a ton and make them a ton…over time. Agreed.

Bob Smith
    Participant

Today by my calculator the S&P is down 32%.

Listening to the virus update the news is bad and getting worse. Until the virus curve peaks the Dead Cat bounce will remain in the future.

That is what I think.

I am waiting for Sean to say buy.

Sean Hyman
    Keymaster

No, that’s not necessarily correct. Stocks reverse course higher still when news is bad, in the case of a bear market bounce. Why? They’re short-covering rallies mainly.

And later on, the “real bottom” happens before the news turns positive because 1) stocks overshoot to the downside at some point, more than reflecting the worst possible case scenario into the stock’s price/index’s price and 2) because stocks are forecasting mechanisms due to the fact that institutions are always saying, “What do we think will happen 6-12 months from now?” And they invest today in light of that. So, stocks turn up before the news becomes good again.

The ETF that I prefer is SPY. Low cost, liquid/high-volume, widely tracked/followed. Today, we got close enough to my first entry number for 401k’s/IRAs. Mentioned that at the time when the S&P 500 was in the high 2200’s today. Then there are still two deep averaging down points left after that, should the market drop that far. Good chance that, after the bear market bounce, it does retest the former/old lows and likely then some. Right now, the retail public is still too confident to try to buy in. Real bottoms don’t happen when that’s the case. Also, the average P/E on the S&P 500 is still not even in the fair value phase much less the undervalued phase.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Is SPY price work like $220 share is the 2200 on the S&P 500 index?

That would help me set a limit order.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have been with Sean now for a while and I totally agee with you Scott for Sean has a really special gift.

Sean Hyman
    Keymaster

Thank you, so much, Sherry!

Sean Hyman
    Keymaster

Scott, roughly, yes. But when you see the S&P 500 index at the prescribed levels, you can fire off a market order or put in a limit order ahead of time at those respective levels, yes.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.