Home Forums Ask Sean Tithing on Dividends: is that a thing?

If you'd like advice from Sean or other seasoned investors, Just post your question here.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi Sean,

My hubs and I have been wondering if dividends should be tithed when they show up on your brokerage records?

Sean Hyman
    Keymaster

Some people do it that way. Some people do it when they take the money out of the account to do something else with it, and they’ll tithe off of it first. Either way. Whatever you feel best about doing.

Bekka
    Participant

Ok, great. Now, what about all those years it did not even cross our minds to do that?

Sean Hyman
    Keymaster

Thankfully, God is gracious to us and He knows our hearts. So I’d say to just start where you are now and go forward.

Bekka
    Participant

OK. Thank you! In the past with our 401K full of mutual funds (now an IRA – we’re retired),the dividends were/are reinvested. But, with our hand-picked “SH” stocks, I like the idea of tithing each time a dividend is given. Thanks again.

• This reply was modified 4 years ago by Bekka.
    Sean Hyman
    Keymaster

You’re welcome. Thankfully God is like a good parent to their child (and even better). It’s not that they execute flawlessly (as the child) but that the bent of their heart is to do right.

Bob Smith
    Participant

When it goes into my checking account to be spent that is when I tithe. It is not income while it is still in the brokerage account. (in my opinion) Otherwise what is it when there is a loss in the brokerage account?

Sean Hyman
    Keymaster

That’s totally fine.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.