Home Forums Ask Sean Tax Filing Deadline

If you'd like advice from Sean or other seasoned investors, Just post your question here.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Participant

In case you haven’t seen an official announcement:

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/tax-day-now-july-15-treasury-irs-extend-filing-deadline-and-federal-tax-payments-regardless-of-amount-owed

The deadline for filing and paying your taxes has been extended to July 15, 2020. That’s good news for people like me who had a lot of taxable gains, many short-term (thanks Sean!) and owe a boatload of taxes.

If you are getting a refund, don’t delay! Call in the government’s interest-free loan and get your refund as soon as you can!

Theresa OConnor
    Participant

Yes, and it also applies to 2020 1st and 2nd quarter estimated tax payments for those who make those as well. No interest or penalties as long as you pay by July 15th. Check on your state’s rules. In CA, we received an extension to June 15th before the federal one was announced. Pretty quickly after seeing that the federal date was July 15th, CA adjusted their date from June to July as well. I’m still trying to get confirmation on whether the deadline to fund IRAs has been extended to July as well. I’ve read sources that say yes and sources that say no.

Sean Hyman
    Keymaster

Yeah, I’m not a believer in giving the government an interest-free loan and using it as my savings methodology. Heck no! Additionally, in some places, they’ve held refunds due to indebtedness (like in California on state refunds, etc.).

But concerning anything tax related, I’d say see your tax pro. And if you don’t have one, get one. Because if they’re any good, they save you more than your fee and find you more (legally), than you’d likely have found yourself.

JOY CHENNAULT
    Participant

Once again, wise words my friend. Being in the tax business and not only helping folks all over TX and multiple other states, proper advice and experience is far more valuable than the fee. The largest amount of errors come from self prepared.

Sean Hyman
    Keymaster

Thanks. Yep, I totally agree. Just like if someone spends $200ish with me each year, they should get far more benefit out of that than the $200ish dollars spent through savings of less dollars lost in down-times and plenty of dollars gained in up-times.

With any financial pro that’s worth their salt, that’s the case. Same with you in the tax business. I totally agree. I pay more for returns done by tax pros, BUT they find me more legal deductions, etc. than I’d ever have found on my own, thus MORE than being worth their fee. Agreed.

curtis
    Participant

This is for Joyful, Are you able to do taxes for Montana residents?? If so can we talk??
    Thanks Curtis

JOY CHENNAULT
    Participant

Curtis, an email to contact me is jchennault58@gmail.com. The general answer is yes but we’ll confirm that once we know more details. Email me so we can exchange information. Looking forward to us all prospering well under Sean’s awesome mentoring.

Jeff W
    Participant

I found this to be a good tax service https://kbstax.com/

Sean Hyman
    Keymaster

I really want us to shy away from too much tax talk because that’s where we could get in trouble. It’s a touchy area, from the government’s perspective and what each person needs to do may be different according to their situation. So I’d just say that it literally pays to hire the correct tax pro and to not just do your taxes yourself. That’s my opinion and what I’ve found to be true.

Perana73
    Participant

Be careful in filing too early, even if you get a refund. IRS will be using 2018 tax return information, unless you have already filed 2019 before they issue the stimulus payments to individuals. If your income was lower in 2018 it would be to your benefit to wait with the filing until they have issued the payments. Of course, you have to still meet the thresholds.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.