Home Forums Ask Sean stradegy advice

If you'd like advice from Sean or other seasoned investors, Just post your question here.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I have two stock accounts that I trade in, one is an IRA and the other is a regular account. I’m retired and I have a monthly transfer from my IRA to my regular account and keep the transfer amount such that I do not incur an income tax liability at the end of the year. This has been working well. However, I’m getting to the point in my IRA account, I may have to sell some stock to make the transfer. The good news is that with the zero trading fees these days, I could just repurchase the stock in my regular account.

However, and this is the crux of my question; some of the stocks I have in the IRA account are some of the old UWR and AP. I also have stocks in the IRA account that have been LI recommendations. So here’s the question, when I need to sell some of my stocks in my IRA to transfer to the regular stock account, do I sell more recent stocks from the more current LI recommendations and then repurchase them in the regular account, OR; do I sell the old stocks that I’m really upside down on IE: TUR, RIG, MBT, TEVA? If I sell the older ones, I know that is taking a loss, but would I be better off in the long run taking the proceeds and putting the funds to work in the LI recommendation or requrchase the old UWR and AP stocks?

Hope you understand this question.

Sean Hyman
    Keymaster

That’s really something more from a tax standpoint that you’d want to direct toward your tax pro. They could tell you best. I’m personally not a fan of taking a loss for tax purposes unless a company pretty much fully goes under.

Gary
    Participant

One thing I have been doing since I’m not required to take the RMD yet is to transfer some stocks that are underwater at the time and role the stock form my Traditional IRA into my ROTH. I use the IRS standard deduction as the maximum amount to transfer per year. As the stocks recover, I’m not taxed on the recovery or appreciation.

Sean Hyman
    Keymaster

To that, I’d just say for anyone to confirm a strategy with their tax pro first before making a move. We’ll always tread carefully on the subject of taxes and divert to the real pros there, of which, I’m not one.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.