Home Forums Ask Sean Reason/Benefit of Reverse Split

If you'd like advice from Sean or other seasoned investors, Just post your question here.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Inactive

Sean, Besides removing shares from the market, what would be reasonable and meaningful reasons to do a reverse split. Here are some ideas to why, I don’t know which is true.

1. Take the small people out of the market due to higher price.
    2. Pay less on shares owned/payments. earning paid on shares. (this seems inconsistent since it would seem per share price paid would go up)
    3. Remove shares from market to have more control of stock.

Thanks,
    John

Anonymous
    Inactive

One more,

4. Do you think it is a good idea for reverse splits? What is your personal view on this.

Sean Hyman
    Keymaster

Splits and reverse splits really don’t change the fundamental condition of anything. It’s really just engineering. BUT, with that said, reverse splits sometimes make investors feel better about it because the price is further from zero and, in this case, it allows oil more time to turn around before getting closer to zero. Because of the wackiness of what crude oil has done, they’ve needed to make some changes. Crude oil has done some stuff it’s never done in its trading history. It’s why things like the May crude oil contract going negative, caused brokers like Interactive Brokers to be on the hook for negative amounts in their crude oil futures contracts that their futures clients held, etc.

Was it a good idea in this instance for a reverse split? Probably. What I don’t like is some brokers cutting off people’s ability to buy it because they alone can cause a lack of buying volume strictly because they prevent their clients from buying.

We are in uncharted territory with oil and USO. We know oil won’t be down forever, especially after the economy cranks back up and begins to function somewhat normally again (which may take a bit). But we don’t know ahead of time if USO will be a winner or not for us.

Sean Hyman
    Keymaster

Don, I shared these on the forum but posting them again in case you missed it: https://www.investopedia.com/search?q=reverse+split

Investopedia is our greatest tool for defining investing terms and they “whys” about them. Very helpful resource to bookmark.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    Sean Hyman
    Keymaster

Correct. Absolutely. They’re doing the right things to try to buy crude oil more time in turning around. NOW…with them going into future months, USO may lag behind WTI crude just a bit, but they are still pushing further away from everything being in near-term months so they don’t see what the May contract did, happen again. Doesn’t mean they’ll ultimately be successful or not. But it does mean they’re doing what they can, for sure. The reverse split as well.

Anonymous
    Inactive

So this writer(below) must be correct: Where do I go to watch these contracts? Thanks.

July, August, and September contracts are already at $20.38, $23.48, and $25.46. So, if oils gets to those prices by each of those months, USO breaks even. It’s called contango and the futures market is in super contango right now as June is only $13.45 with a real possibility of going negative upon expiration, just like May (the fund still holds June contracts unless they dumped after close). Investing in USO is kind of like borrowing money with a monthly interest rate of 15%-50% and investing it. I don’t know any stocks, funds, bonds…that get that kind of return. The trade is to short USO. There is practically no risk given the current situation. I wouldn’t call it brilliance. It was their only move as the fund is trapped. It simply could not hold all those June contracts any longer so they started to unwind as soon as they could. The move was EXTREMELY costly but the alternative was bankruptcy.

Sean Hyman
    Keymaster

Don that’s only because of oil’s recent dive. If oil were to swiftly rebound, you’d have all of those shorts have to pile out. So far, oil has doubled off of its lows. We’ll see where it goes from here.

Watching every futures contract within USO is almost akin to watching every individual stock within a regular ETF. It’s just better to watch the ETF. It won’t tell you any more by watching each contract. They’re all influenced by oil’s direction.

But to answer your question, if your broker trades futures, then your broker can give you the symbols for each contract or you can Google the symbol for each month. In my Ameritrade Think or Swim platform, I can put in /CL and before hitting enter, it brings up a list of crude oil contracts.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Just wondering how I should respond to the USO. Just looking to make a logical decision concerning it. I believe it was mentioned somewhere to put in a sell order at 8-10%? Is that based on the split happening or something else I’m not aware of? Thanks.

Sean Hyman
    Keymaster

You’d want to contact your broker. Most likely they cancel any pre-existing sell orders ahead of the split. But ask your broker.

This morning on the forum, PianoMan reported that Schwab cancels them ahead of time. You can see more from today’s comments toward the bottom of this page: https://logicalinvestor.net/forums/topic/wti-crude-futures/page/5/

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thank you, Sean.

Sean Hyman
    Keymaster

You’re welcome.

Carole Tanner
    Participant

When I tried to purchase my second tranche in USO thru Wells Fargo they would not execute. Seems like they were curtailing buying. Hmmmm. Crazy times. I’ll keep trying.

Sean Hyman
    Keymaster

You’ll find, there’s good reason why I ONLY suggest using Ameritrade and Schwab. I can’t make y’all switch but for the life of me, I don’t know why y’all ignore that seasoned advice. I don’t get a penny from either firm. I just know they deliver when others don’t. You should consider switching. When your broker stands in the way of what you want to do, while others can execute simply because they’re with a better broker…that should tell you something.

Y’all are always going to have more headaches/hiccups with brokers outside of the two I recommend. I’ve repeated it like a broken record all throughout LI.

Ask Leslie how different it is going from Wells Fargo to Ameritrade. She made the switch. Banks make horrible brokers, in my opinion.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.