Home Forums Ask Sean Oil pick

If you'd like advice from Sean or other seasoned investors, Just post your question here.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi Sean,

Was looking at my investment portfolio app and where the oil pick should be it now says n/a and -100% and negative the amount of money invested. Any idea what this could mean? Thank You

Sean Hyman

You’d have to ask your broker that question. Could possibly be because of being between ex dividend and pay dates. That’s the only thing I can think of.

Anthony Rose
    Participant

Ok, that’s what we though it could be. Thank You for Your time. Normally we wouldn’t double take but with the way things are we just want to be sure. Thanks again!

Sean Hyman
    Keymaster

You’re welcome.

james wolfe
    Participant

reverse split?

FusionDude
    Participant

Yes, there was a 1:4 reverse split, meaning for every 4 shares you owned, you now own 1. It can take a day or three for the broker’s system to catch up.

Your basis remains the amount you invested. The number of shares you own is divided by 4 (effectively increasing the purchase price 4-fold).

Sean Hyman
    Keymaster

Yep. It’s just engineering to get a price up and further away from zero so that it doesn’t scare people as much, etc. It adds no real value. It’s just Wall Street engineering. Changes nothing of the value of the asset.

Great explanation FusionDude.

Also, remember, there’s always Investopedia.com for investing terms too. I’d always encourage you bookmarking it as well.

Anthony Rose
    Participant

Thank You all for input. We are still learning but talked to our broker who explained the reverse split. Thank You all again for the help. Much appreciated.

Sean Hyman
    Keymaster

No prob. Yep, brokers are a good resource.

Here’s more from Investopedia on it: https://www.investopedia.com/search?q=reverse+split

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.