Home Forums Members Forum Exxon (XOM)

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 236 total)
  • Author

Lori: you’re welcome.

Robert: yep, your worst case scenario now would be a 10.5% overall gain, if stopped out.

Sean Hyman

Wow! Up 4.8% just today! We’ve got to be nearer to the next sizable pullback, I’d think.

Scott
    Participant

Up 22.6% here. Holding and waiting.

Robert Graham
    Participant

Im very grateful for the opportunity to make 21% in two weeks and to also hold onto half the investment and see what happens still. I have ours stopped out to where we won’t lose anything on that portion.

Best of all worlds…Thanks!!

RickZ
    Participant

Sold half for 23% gain.

Sean Hyman

Scott: hope you’ll consider the sell half, keep half approach like these others.

Scott
    Participant

Have not tried that before. I kept all my SLV. No regrets. How does that strategy work? Do I buy again if XOM goes down?

Sean Hyman

The thought process lets you maximize the upside volatility while reducing downside volatility. Additionally, it ensures you some gain, while keeping one leg in for further appreciation in the stock.

This is only done when something shoots up like crazy and we want to reduce some risks, ensure some gain and yet keep one leg in for the remaining upside that we think is coming.

Sean Hyman

Scott, see my explanation to Lori, who asked the same question. Also, Leslie posted about stops.

I’d post too but via smartphone, it’s hard to keep up with the posting volume.

Scott
    Participant

I totally understand. No need to repeat yourself. I will go ahead and sell half and not purchase again unless it’s second or third tranche. Not going to set a stop loss.

Sean Hyman

Your broker can walk you through how to place a stop. It’s not hard.

Without the stop, you don’t assure no loss. With it, you assure no loss on the overall investment. Worthwhile.

JOHN Marin
    Participant

up 21.43% sold half of my shares as advised..

Sean Hyman

Love it.

John Stewart
    Participant

TD Ameritrade wants me to set
    activation price

What is that?

So I can set stop limit. Sold half at 22% gain just now

No straight answer on Investopedia.

I got the order to work at $1.00 and at $0.05. Recommendation?

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by John Stewart.
    Sean Hyman

Your broker should be explaining that with you on the phone. Makes them earn their keep.

It’s the price at which you want the stop to trigger. Not a stop limit but a stop that triggers a market sell order at that triggered price.

A stop is simply saying, “If the stock falls to this level, I want out. Sell. “

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 236 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.