Home Forums Members Forum Exxon Mobil Kicked Off the Dow 30!!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Sean…what effect do you think XOM getting kicked out of the Dow 30 will have on the overall markets and to XOM specifically? Do you know which company replaced XOM?

Participant

Did a little research……Exxon Mobil (XOM) is being replaced by Salesforce (CRM)…..Raytheon (RTN) and Pfizer (PFE) are being replaced by Amgen (AMGN) and Honeywell International (HON)….these changes will take effect on Monday, Aug 31, 2020.

Sean HymanSean Hyman
    Keymaster

Not much. Why? Not much is indexed to the Dow. Most index funds that people are invested in, are tied to the S&P 500. So it’s more symbolic when someone gets into or gets kicked out of the Dow Jones Industrial Average. Yet, getting the boot from the S&P 500 means many index tracking funds have to sell out of that stock and if some stock gets added to the index, then those tracking funds have to buy it. So, that one’s the bigger deal.

XOM, however, is not the company it once was. There are far superior oil companies out there, fundamentally. We held it once in the past when it had better fundamentals. But it doesn’t appeal to me today. It’s why we’ve been in others and not it.

Charles LeeCharles Lee
    Participant

Hi Sean,
    Could you elaborate more why XOM is now no longer the same as it was and what has fundamentally changed ? Thanks!

JimHJimH
    Participant

I have a friend who works for XOM and they have stopped their employee 401k matching contributions. A 7% paycut for all their employees. Not a good sign!

Sean HymanSean Hyman
    Keymaster

It’s all in a reaction to the dip in the price of oil and the economic tough-times that they know are coming for the economy…in my opinion. But yes, there are better places to be, and we’ve been in them. Agreed.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.