Home Forums Members Forum Employment Offer Advice

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Participant

My wife is blessed with two job offers. One is $110k with 15% annual bonus with max 6% 401k match. The other is $125k with no bonus and 3% max 401k match. Is that additional just under $3k in additional 401k match for the $110K worth more than the $125K offer?

Jerry BeersJerry Beers
    Participant

The bonus alone more than makes up the difference. The extra 3% match just makes it that much better.

Leslie HarvathLeslie Harvath
    Participant

Congratulations, Thankful! Maybe another question might be how much can you manage the 401K accounts? eg how easy is it to go to cash in a down market?
    $110K + 15% bonus (+ $16,500) + 6% match (+ $6,600) = $133,100

vs. $125k + 3% match (+ $3,750) = $128,750

Doesn’t the $110K + bonus, etc. look better, or am I not seeing something?

Participant

Specifically, if the first job’s 401(k) match includes bonus she will be looking at 134,090. Option 2 she will be looking at 128,750. That’s more than a 5k difference.
    I’d also look at both the jobs and ask which one she’d prefer/be happier working at. All the best.

ThankfulThankful
    Participant

I really appreciate the feedback! The job title is better with the $125 and comes with stock options of something like $37k for chewy.com that vest in 4 years, the other is for Sartorius a medical device company. We use chewy, so also a discount, but chewy is 11 years old while Sartorius is a German company that was started in something like 1870.

Participant

You would also have to take into account the extra taxes you would pay on the salary (as opposed to deferred compensation), and of course that depends on the tax bracket you are in and the state your reside in.

Sean HymanSean Hyman

Which one thrills her more and matches her skill set the best? Are the companies public? If so, you can see how solid they are and how well they may weather a recession.

ThankfulThankful
    Participant

Chewy went public less than two years ago and is coming down from a massive spike. Sartorius in Germany and only otc here. She’s in HR so her skills transfer, both have good opportunity for advancement.

ThankfulThankful
    Participant

Yes, tax advantages for sure with the $110 offer.

Participant

Chewy was already the winner from the numbers given, but now with stock options and product discount included, that widens the gap even more. But consider other benefits offered – is there a Flex Spending account? Are vacation and sick leave comparable? Commute times? Perhaps more important though than all this number crunching is what Sean said – which one calls her? sparks more joy?

Sean HymanSean Hyman
    Keymaster

Yeah, I’d say, which excites her more? Which does she feel more of a drawing to? Which can she see herself in more? Does one give her a better quality of life, like shorter commute or working from home some, etc.?

Sean HymanSean Hyman
    Keymaster

Chewy carries very little cash and earnings losses. Something to consider. https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/CHWY/key-statistics?p=CHWY

Sartorius only has ho-hum financial strength but has been around a long time. https://www.gurufocus.com/stock/SARTF/summary

ThankfulThankful
    Participant

Thank you guys SO MUCH!! Those Chewy financials did concern me, but the work atmosphere and opportunities and where she wants to go in her career is Chewy. I can’t thank you all for helping me get my head around this. She’s been interviewing for three years, always a bridesmaid never a bride, and now this.

ThankfulThankful
    Participant

As always THANK YOU Sean 😊☀️

Sean HymanSean Hyman

Awesome. Glad we could all be of help.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.