Home Forums Members Forum CHL not delisted from NYSE

Tagged: ,

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 63 total)
  • Author
    Participant

And yes, definitely a tax right off! We need it with all the gains!

Christiaan
    Participant

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/01/06/nyse-will-delist-three-big-china-telecoms-reversing-decision-once-again.html

Plans changed again. So CHL will be delisted from NYSE. Please ignore the word ‘not’ in the title of this threat…

Sean Hyman
    Keymaster

The sell alert order still stands:

Chinese telecoms swing negative as NYSE confirms delisting for Jan. 11
    Jan. 06, 2021 9:25 AM ETChina Mobile Limited (CHL)By: Jason Aycock, SA News Editor3 Comments
    State-owned Chinese telecoms have swung negative premarket, as the New York Stock Exchange confirms it’s moving forward with delisting the companies.
    China Mobile (NYSE:CHL) is -3.1% premarket; China Telecom (NYSE:CHA) is -1.2% and China Unicom (NYSE:CHU) is -2.4%.
    Trading of the companies will be suspended on the NYSE at 4 a.m. New York time on Jan. 11, the exchange says.
    The companies have a right to review the decision, which now comes in time to comply with a Trump administration executive order.
    Bloomberg had reported earlier that the re-reversal might be coming after the NYSE heard “disapproval” from Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin yesterday.

Sean Hyman
    Keymaster

Thankful: That is one positive out of it, yes. True.

Sean Hyman
    Keymaster

Anualita, the sell alerts are so there’s no guesswork involved. When I issue a sell alert, you don’t have to wonder if you should keep it or not. You’d potentially lose all of it if you kept a delisted stock that can’t be sold.

In this case, you’ve probably lost 25%-35% or so of the investment due to this stupid executive order. However, if you think you’re not going to have losers in investing, then you’d not be paying attention to what I’ve taught all along. I can guarantee them because I don’t konw of ANY professional investor that doesn’t have them. None.

By the way, in every money-making adventure…there will be losses. It’s why retail stores have to put clothing on clearance, below their costs. It’s why landlords have to repair a place from damages (purposeful or from natural disasters) or from people skipping out on rent, etc. Every way you can make money has the potential for losses here and there.

But you know what the guaranteed loss is? Being only a consumer and not an investor. That’s a guaranteed loss because no one can ever move the ball forward in life like they need only being a spender and not an investor.

Sean Hyman
    Keymaster

Derek, my comments yesterday were off of yesterday’s news which is now old/inaccurate news because they flip-flopped again as of this morning and are now delisting the stock again. The sell alert still stands. It should be sold.

HomeBrew, yep, you’ve got a loss to help offset gains for taxes. Yep.

Yep, Thankful is right. I’m glad we’re staying out of it, with all of the fickle back-and-forth on it. The head of the NYSE, she should be ashamed for being so indecisive and causing people to lose money in it and then people jumping back in it due to the news of not delisting and then taking losses again off of deciding to delist again. I’d imagine some big fish in the sea will sue. We’ll be moving on and putting it behind us. The loss to our overall portfolio is very minimal. It’s one of the smaller losses one could take.

Christiaan
    Participant

Got first formal CHL delisting communication from my broker Interactive Brokers. See attached.

In summary:
    – Sanctions starting per January 11. Meaning no buys are possible anymore. Closes/sells are possible till November 11.
    – Sanctions only applicable for US citizens. Non US citizens can still buy after January 11.
    – Big list of all sanctioned securities included. Is much more than 3 telcos.

In conclusion:
    – Sean’s sell alert for US citizens still stands, see his recent confirmations.
    – I as non US citizen will slowly exit CHL too by riding the tops, to reduce losses, through the rest of the year in the hope that I am completely out per the end of the year.
    – Chinese stocks is way too risky place to be especially with Trump’s 2nd term starting soon.
    – Since all this happening last year around the China virus and China payoffs to politicians e.g. president-non-elect and son, I also think the ethical investing dimension would stop me now from ever entering CCP owned company stocks again. First the CCP must be brought to justice and cleansed. But I was too unaware of all of this when entering years ago.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Sean Hyman
    Keymaster

I’ll own stocks most anywhere as long as the conditions are right. Heck, we’ve even owned in Russia before. No doubt, they do carry a bit higher risks but that’s why we buy at so low of P/E’s and why we diversify.

In fact, even some foreign laggards that some may still hold (TUR, EIDO, etc.), they’re all soaring/recovering nicely as money is flowing into emerging markets again with a falling dollar.

Really, our risks never lied in owning the stocks of those countries. BTU and CHL both had risks to us due to two US presidents. I hate to say it, but it’s true. I love most of what Trump has done, no doubt. I voted for him twice. He’s my favorite president of my lifetime so far (even above that of Reagan for me, which is next best to me).

John Frey
    Participant

So we lost some money on CHL. Black Swans happen. We are not investors because there is no risk. We are investors because there is risk. We just try to minimize risk while maximizing profits. Sean has taught us how to do that. By the way if one looks at their LI portfolio, they will find that the CHL loss is almost completely recovered.

This is, BY FAR, the most superior system available.

Sean Hyman

Thanks, John. I totally agree.

Sean Hyman

Subscribers here get spoiled because they don’t have as many real losses as most systems have.

Heck, Warren Buffett took massive losses on his airline stocks, for instance.

sshetty
    Participant

I fully agree with what Sean is saying … And we lost because of an unforseen order and NOT due to poor investing strategy

Ling
    Participant

I am glad I sold CHL Monday morning. Otherwise, I would be manipulated by NYSE’s flip flop.

Sean Hyman
    Keymaster

Sheety: Yep, exactly. There is no strategy in existence that can avoid all/any risks. With any inflation-beating potential for gains, comes some measure of risks. So, the attempt shouldn’t be to eliminate risks (because that’s an impossibility, literally). It should be to minimize them mthrough wise, solid companies bought at cheap valuations and averaged down on at even cheaper valuations, coupled with diversifying evenly among a portfolio of stocks. That’s how we do it. And it works. Agreed. Thanks.

Ling: Yeah, it’s the reason why I didn’t want to jump back in…for the risk that another fickly flip-flop could happen. I didn’t feel any decision they’d made at that point was etched in stone. So, some people (outside of my subscribers) hopped back in and lost twice on it due to their flip-flopping. Sad.

Roger
    Participant

Sean, again I say I have been with you since 2013. Of the many stocks we have held, I have only lost money in 2, BTU and CHL. That is remarkable.
    I thank you again for all that you do and for all that you teach us.

Today is truly a historic day in American history, as I watch fox news and what’s happening at the Capital, we all need to say a prayer for those people who are there in protest about this election and the unremarkable way in which it was carried out, unconstitutional, and the VERY QUESTIONABLE results.
    We also need to say a prayer for our country, we are in such uncertain times.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 63 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.